November 09, 2011

A Gentle Nudge

A gentle nudge to all my unfortunate audience.

As a newspaper ’Middle’ writer once said, one has to cajole, caress and coax the teasing wispy feather-like words into shape for publication, either in print or on the web. Writing involves, for the occasional rambler like me, a humungous effort to churn-out a piece. All too suddenly, the thoughts converge from all corners on the mind's palimpsest as I learn the ropes of bloggery and crawl out of writer's block. Yes, it is an essay – in both its senses, as literary composition (value to be determined by the readers) and as an attempt. In those good ol’days, as the legend goes, the churning brought out the nectar and now it brings out a blogpost. Find it exaggerating?


But this is what I feel about my writings. Blessed are those who can write even on trivial matters. Sri Sri - one of the great Telugu poets - had quite aptly said, let me take the liberty to digress as I quote: “kukka pilla, aggi pulla, sabbu billa … kaadedi raatakanarham”. Taking cue from this, I have started publishing my blog posts, with the ambition to join those blessed ones with amusing nuances of the Enigma that life presents. And as the days pass, I click open my mail Inbox with bated breath for at least one sweet note of appreciation. The stats widget on the blog tells me that my niche audience have read it.

And here is the reason for the nudge to my readers. When so humungous an effort is put in to publish a post, (of course for my own pleasure, than that of anybody else), it is, but, natural to expect a mail or comment of appreciation from my readers – ‘onymous’ and ‘anonymous’. Agreed, you are too busy to scribble…err…key in your appreciation. For all such ‘busybodies’ (not in the literal sense) and click-happy audience, the application developer was sagacious enough, and I am considerate enough to insert the sharing icons. But if you ‘Unlike’ it (a la Facebook, - they seem to have redefined the meaning of the word), you can’t express your dislike with a single click of the mouse. Hobson’s Choice.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is, all that a writer, more so the occasional blogger like me, wants from his audience is a comment, even if you ‘Unlike’ it. The boost it gives is definitely not ephemeral.

So, what are you waiting for? Pick-up your pens...err...mistake again...click your mouses (not mice), or enter your comments to propel me into blogging glory!

On an aside though, is sustained readership a Sisyphean task?

No comments:

Post a Comment